I did work experience when I was at university as part of my degree and ever since I have always tried to help students with their placements to ensure they get the best from their time with me and the team.
I have to admit I have had some very good students over the years and unfortunately some very bad ones. Without revealing too much I thought it was time to share some tips on how to secure a job in PR from doing work experience.
- Turn up – preferably on the right day and on time
- Act professionally and try to avoid being hung over
- Dress accordingly
- Turn your mobile off or at the very least stick it on silent – don’t sit on it texting and chatting to your friends all day
- Try to look keen or at least vaguely interested in what you are doing. Don’t sigh your way through the day watching the clock
- If you are ill for a genuine reason rather, make sure you ring the company ASAP as it looks extremely lame and unbelievable if you just send a text or email
- If you finish a task in the day don’t just sit there and wait for another, ask your contact if they have anything else to do
- Always offer to make the team a coffee in the morning as this shows you’re keen and willing to get stuck in
- If you have completed some work for somebody make sure you give to them before you leave, explaining your actions
- Try to work at a reasonable pace and stick it out for more than one day because you never know you might actually like it
I think the golden rule overall is to look interested and show them you really want the job. A career in public relations can be fun if you show some interest and initiative.